Current Affairs (May 2012) For IBPS and all Bank Insurance Companies Exam Preparation
1. What is the new name of Russian nuclear powered submarine k- 152 Nerpa after that handed over to India?
Ans. INS Chakra
2. Who is the author of the book ‘My Unforgettable Memories’ ?
Ans. Mamata Banerjee
3. Who is the present Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh?
Ans. Nabam Tuki
4. Whose Auto Biography is called ‘Prisoner 5990’ ?
Ans. R. Balakrishna Pilla
5. Where in India, largest solar power plant with an installed capacity of 40 MW started producing electricity?
Ans. Pokhran in Rajasthan
6. Who created history by becoming the first Indian female wrestler to have qualified for the London Olympics 2012?
7. Who has been appointed next Chairman of Atomic Energy Commission?
Ans. Ratan Kumar Sinha
8. Where is the World’s first Virtual shopping store opened?
9. Name the nuclear submarine which became the part of Indian Navy in April 2012.
Ans. INS Chakra
10. Name the world’s highest and longest bridge that was officially opened to motorists in China.
Ans. Anzhaite – Long span suspension Bridge in Jishou
11. Where in Rajasthan Spices Board’s first Spices Park is setup?
12. Which Asian country recently became member of Consultative Group to Assist the Poor (CGAP)?
13. Name the Malawi President who died recently?
Ans. Bingu wa Mutharika
14. Who was sworn in as Malawi’s President following the death of Bingu wa Mutharika?
Ans. Joyce Banda
15. Where in Himachal Pradesh Indian Institute of Information Technology (IIIT) would be opened?
Ans. Una district
16. Which country surpass China as Iran’s top oil client?
17. India has recently decided to allow Foreign Direct Investment from which Asian country?
18. Which Indian state’s 100th anniversary was celebrated recently?
19. Name the First Radar Imaging Satellite (spy satellite) Successfully launched by India recently.
India on 26 April 2012 launched India’s first indigenous all weather Radar Imaging Satellite (RISAT-1)
20. Which cricket player and lady actor were recommended for Rajya Sabha membership in India?
Ans. Sachin Tendulkar and Rekha
22. Who is appointed as the youngest Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh?
Ans. Akhilesh Yadav at the age of 38.
22. Longding became the 17th district of which Indian state?
Ans. Arunachal Pradesh
23. What is the validity period for cheques and bank drafts in India since 1st April 2012?
Ans. Three months from the date of issue
25. Name the Serbian President who resigned recently.
Ans. Boris Tadic
26. Name the protein that has been identified to protect cancer and other cells from treatments like chemotheraphy and radiation.
27. Which act was amended to include compulsory registration of marriages in India?
Ans. Registration of Births and Deaths Act, 1969
28. Name the 51 year old who Conquered Mt.Everest Twenty One times.
Ans. Apa Sherpa
29. ISRO recently gave clearance for using which frequency band from satellite for internet on trains?
Ans. KU band
30. Which type of SIM cards are Switzerland based Geo Communications AG, launching in India?
Ans. International Mobile Subscriber Identity(IMSI) SIM cardswhich will allow multiple mobile numbers from different operators on a single SIM card.
31. Name the personality (a poet, an author) whose 150th birth anniversary celebrated on May 8th 2012.
Ans. Rabindranath Tagore
32. Where in India Archeological Survey of India is planning gallery on Harappan civilization?
Ans. Vadodara, Gujarat
33. Who is elected as President of France?
Ans. Francois Hollande
34. Which mobile operator is the biggest gainer of mobile number portability (MPN) service in India?
Ans. Idea Cellular
35. Who was sworn in as Russian president for Second time?
Ans. Vladimir Putin
36. Name the hockey player who died after being hit in the head by the ball during a game in Perth recently.
Ans. Elizabeth Watkins
37. Who created national record by winning silver medal at the Altius Track Crew Threwdown meet in maui Island, Hawaii recently?
Ans. Krishna Poonia
38. Who is elected as Russian Prime Minister recently?
Ans. Dmitry Medvedev
39. Name the aircraft carrier and nuclear submarine India is set to get in 2013.
Ans. Admiral Gorshkov and INS Arihant
40. Who is crowned Miss India World 2012?
Ans. Vanya Mishra
41. Where in Kerala a film city is to be built?
Ans. Varikkassery Mana at Ottapalam
42. Who was sworn in as Uttarkhand’s Chief Minister?
Ans. Vijay Bahuguna
43. Who became the Chief Minister of Punjab for the fifth time?
Ans. Parkash Singh Badal
44. Who has been elected as German President?
Ans. Joachim Gauck
45. Name the Goa Tourism minister who died of heart attack recently?
Ans. Matanhy Saldanha
46. Name the bill passed against conduct of any constitutional authority in India.
Ans. Judicial Accountability Bill
47. Who won the woman single’s Madrid Masters title 2012?
Ans. Serena Williams
48. Who won the men single’s Madrid Masters title 2012?
Ans. Roger Federer
49. Who has been appointed as TRAI (Telecom Regulatory Authority of India) chairman for a three year term?
Ans. Rahul Khullar
50. Which countries have warned North Korea on further Nuclear tests?
Ans. China, Japan and South Korea
51. What is the Motto of London Olympics 2012?
Ans. Inspire a Generation
52. What is the estimated number of Nations participating in London Olympics 2012?
53. How many number of events are scheduled for Summer Olympics 2012?
Ans. 302 in 26 sports
54. What does the Paralympic logo of Olmpics 2012 represent?
Ans. River Thames in East London
55. At what value did Facebook IPO open at Nasdaq?
56. Death due to which insect is an accident and is covered under accidental death insurance as per the North District Consumer Forum in India?
57. Who became the World’s Oldest women to climb the Mount Everest?
Ans. Tamae Watanabe, Seventy three Year Old
58. Which Mobile E-commerce Application was acquired by Facebook recently?
59. What is the name of the new version of Android Operating System called?
Ans. Jelly bean (Android 5)
60. What is the name of new tool launched by yahoo for online advertisers for their data analytics?
61. Cyber Defence Research Centre came into operation recently in which Indian state?
62. Name the first Bangladeshi woman to climb the Mt.Everest.
Ans. Nishat Majumder
63. Which country will become biggest IT consumer in Asia-Pacific region surpassing Japan?
64. Name the former Prime Minister who’s 21st death anniversary was observed in India on 21st May 2012.
Ans. Rajiv Gandhi
65. Which browser over took Internet Explorer to become top browser in the world?
Ans. Google Chrome
66. Which Netherland based free instant messaging and call application firm is relocating its global headquarters to India?
67. What is the name of world’s tallest residential building?
Ans. Princess Tower in Dubai, UAE (1356 feet)
68. Name the social network launched for the people who are on death bed.
Ans. My Last Wish
69. Who will receive the honorary doctorate in civil law nearly after 20 years after Oxford University awarded?
Ans. Aung Saan Suu Kyi
70. Name the new system that is introduced to get informations of foreigners visiting India.
Ans. Immigration, Visa and Foreigners Registration and Tracking (IVFRT)
71. Name the two mascots of London Olympics 2012.
Ans. Wenlock and Mandeville
72. Which country surpassed China as the largest Arms Importer in the World?
According to a report published in March 2012 by the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI), India topped China as the largest importer of arms during 2007-11 and accounted for 10 per cent of global arms import as compared to Chinese share of five per cent.
73. Who is the first Pakistan Prime Minister who convicted for Contempt of Court?
Ans. Yousuf Raza Gilani
The Supreme Court of Pakistan convicted Pakistan Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani for contempt of court for refusing to reopen corruption cases against President Asif Ali Zardari.
74. The Fourth BRICS summit was held in:
Ans. New Delhi on March 29, 2012
75. Which is the bill passed by the Lok Sabha to provide royalty to the lyricists?
Ans. The Copyright (Amendment) Bill 2010 passed on 22nd May 2012.